The agricultural sector in Morocco has a strategic position in the national economy and plays an important role in the socio-economic development of the Kingdom. The agricultural sector contributes 16.5% to GDP and is a source of income for 40% of Morocco’s working population.
|A vital sector||16.5% of the national GDP|
|Employment provider||40% of the Kingdom’s active population|
|Large export potential||2.2 billion USD, equal to 11% of Morocco’s total exports|
|Area||9.2 million hectares, 11% of which are in the irrigated area|
Moroccan agriculture has several advantages, the most important are:
- The geographical location of Morocco and its immediate proximity to the European market with logistical resources on the increase;
- The presence of a potential and dynamic national market, which is a market with significant population growth and rising living standards;
- A qualified and highly competitive agricultural labor;
- Comparative advantages for several products (in particular fruit and vegetables);
- The national presence of several models of successful agricultural and agro-industrial companies.